So it’s now the end of February aka Black History Month and I decided that I should tell you 5 African Americans who I love..so here it goes:
1. Madam C.J. Walker. She’s considered to be the first female self-made millionaire in America and that’s because she founded the Madam C.J. Walker Manufacturing Company, which specialized in hair care products, if it wasn’t for this woman I would not be able to perm my hair (which I need to do real soon), so thank you Madam C.J Walker!
2. George Washington Carver. Also known as “The Peanut Butter Man” to me. He developed peanut butter (no duh) which I personally think was the best thing to come from peanuts and I think its pretty awesome that he used his scientist “skillage” to bring versatility to the peanut. Plus he was mentioned in The Proud Family Movie (one of my faves).
3. Rosa Parks. I find her to be beyond inspirational and in class I found out that Rosa Parks was not the first person to resist bus segregation, but there was something really special about Rosa Parks that made her so memorable. The NAACP decided to use her to challenge the segregation laws in the courts and the Montgomery Bus Boycott happened in an effort to get those laws changed.
4. Ella Fitzgerald. She may have been considered as shy, but when she sang, this woman’s beautiful voice broke down barriers and brought people together. I personally love her even more because she sang in one of my favourite genres – she’s referred to as the Queen of Jazz. I still listen to her songs today and I even try to do my own little impersonation of her singing (I’m not that good, but I’m getting better).
5. Martin Luther King Jr. So I decided to save one of my favourites among favourites for last. This man I consider to be one of the most inspirational people that anyone can look up to. He was so influential that even I had a dream that he was telling me about his dream. He had determination and did not consider “giving up” as an option and I believe that that’s a quality many of us should have, cause honestly I know too many people who give up as soon as things get tough.
There you have it! 5 African Americans who I can’t get enough of. We now say “Hasta Luego February” as we now march into March (Haahaa! See what I did there?).
the pink cheebra